It’s a matter of curiosity to know how exactly worms can enter our body. It was revolting to know that some worms according to WHO can live in our body for 30 years. Can we actually swallow them? Or where does biology belong? So, while working in nai zindagi trust, Peshawar, I got to know about some intriguing things about these worms. I worked there for a few months and attended many patients suffering from parasitic infection.
The worms are from the group ‘Parasites’. These are the species that need a living host to stay alive. Parasites, if swallowed, cause severe effects and take humans as their habitation. Some these worms are:
- Trichinosis worms
People living in rural areas are more prone to such infections. The worms are more in number at the contaminated places having no proper sanitation rules. In case we swallow a worm, it has the ability to grow in our intestine.
How Worms Can Enter Our Body?
They can set foot in our bodies through various pathways. They are small sized parasites, so this feature makes them easy to invade. It can be through food, dirt, eggs and feces. The more common ways are as listed below.
- Not properly cooked food provides the risk of getting vulnerable to worms. Food like crabs, mollusks and fish.
- Sometimes, people involuntarily swallow the eggs of worms.
- Often, an insect infected with a worm can bite you.
- Raw water plants like watercress can have worms in them
- Not properly cleaned vegetables
- Some worms are so small and young that they can easily invade through your skin.
Harmful Effects of Worms on Your Body:
Infections caused by parasitic worms can leave some drastic effects on your health. They need food, that’s why they are dependent on a living thing. So, the worms in your body will eat your food before your body has digested it. It can lead to lack of essential nutrients in our body. Some of the injurious effects are:
- Decrease in the ability to absorb proteins
- Irritable fatigue
- Sudden Weight loss without an effort
- Stabbing pain in the abdomen
- Nausea or diarrhea
- It can cause anemia due to loss of iron and blood.
How to Get Rid of Worms?
The aim of steering away the worms from your intestine can be achieved through many ways. It can be a try at home remedies, fixing your diet or taking a turn to medication. During my work, I prepared a list of foods to eat, asking from some best stomach specialists in Peshawar.
- So, the first thing you can efficiently control is your diet. Stick to eggs, beets, carrots, garlic, raw pumpkin seeds, turmeric, thyme, ginger, papaya, pomegranates, and neem leaves. These food items are used to kill parasites according to a study.
- Some doctors recommend taking a dose of mebendazole medicine to kill the dreadful worms.
- Drink a lot of water. It will help in the removal of worms through the waste material.
- Besides other food items, coconut is proven to be the most effective way to get rid of parasitic worms
Risk Factors of Stomach Worms:
According to the research, people living in developing countries are more vulnerable to invading worms. Because they usually consume contaminated food and water The places in the village are not properly sanitized and they increase the risk.
- Most of the times, children are more susceptible to getting stomach worms. They are careless and play in the muddy places.
- Not eating properly and facing the issue of malnutrition due to poverty can permit the worms into your stomach.
- The poor hygiene of people and not weather can cause an increase in the number of infections.
Taking Care of Your Hygiene!
After getting through all the details, the most important factor is to take care of cleanliness. Clean your surroundings, don’t let the mud layered. Clean yourself. Sanitize the products you take from outside. Wash your vegetables properly and never undercook the meat. Such precautionary measures will help you to prevent a worm from entering into your stomach. If you feel any of the above mentioned symptoms, you can visit your doctor and get some recommendations.