In the world of video recording, the importance of good audio cannot be overstated. Without clear and high-quality audio, even the best visuals can fall flat. That’s why it’s important to invest in a good Microphone for video recording.
Choosing the best Microphone for video recording can be a daunting task, especially with so many options available on the market. A good Microphone is crucial for capturing clear and high-quality audio, which is essential for creating engaging and professional videos.
In this blog, we’ll go through some of the factors to consider when choosing a Microphone for video recording and provide our recommendations for the best video recording Microphones in 2023.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Mic for Video Recording
Picking a good Microphone for video recording is important because it directly impacts the quality of the audio in your video. Audio is just as important as the visual component of a video, and poor audio quality can ruin the overall viewing experience for your audience.
When you record video, the built-in Microphone on your camera or smartphone may not be enough to capture clear, high-quality audio. This is especially true if you are recording in a noisy or crowded environment, where ambient sounds can easily overpower your voice or other important audio.
A good Microphone, on the other hand, will help capture crisp and clear audio, ensuring that your message is delivered clearly and effectively. It will also help to minimise background noise, ensuring that your audio remains clean and professional.
In addition, if you are creating video content for a professional or commercial purpose, having high-quality audio is even more important. Poor audio quality can damage your brand reputation and make your content less effective at conveying your message.
With that in mind, here are 6 things you should consider when purchasing a Microphone for Video Recording.
- Microphone Type
There are several types of Microphones available on the market, including shotgun, lavalier, condenser, and dynamic Microphones. Shotgun Microphones are directional and ideal for capturing audio from a distance. Lavalier Microphones are small and clip onto clothing, making them ideal for interviews or situations where the Microphone needs to be discreet. Condenser Microphones are sensitive and ideal for capturing detailed audio, while dynamic Microphones are less sensitive and ideal for loud environments. Consider the type of video you’ll be recording and the environment in which you’ll be recording it when choosing a Microphone type.
- Polar Pattern
The polar pattern of a Microphone determines the directionality of the Microphone’s sensitivity. Cardioid Microphones are directional and ideal for capturing audio from the front while rejecting noise from the sides and rear. Supercardioid and hyper-cardioid Microphones are even more directional and ideal for capturing audio from a specific area. Omni-directional Microphones capture audio from all directions and are ideal for capturing ambient sound or group discussions. Consider the directionality of the Microphone when choosing a polar pattern.
- Frequency Response
The frequency response of a Microphone refers to the range of frequencies it can capture. A wider frequency response allows for more detailed audio capture, while a narrower frequency response may miss out on certain nuances. Consider the type of audio you’ll capture when choosing a Microphone with an appropriate frequency response.
The sensitivity of a Microphone determines how well it can capture quiet sounds. A more sensitive Microphone will capture more detail in quiet environments, while a less sensitive Microphone may miss out on certain sounds. Consider the environment in which you’ll be recording when choosing a Microphone with an appropriate sensitivity level.
Consider how the Microphone will connect to your recording device. Some Microphones connect directly to the camera’s audio input, while others require a separate recording device. If you choose a Microphone that requires a separate recording device, consider how the two devices will connect and whether additional cables or adapters are necessary.
Finally, consider your budget when choosing a Microphone. Higher-end Microphones may have more advanced features and capabilities, but they may also come with a higher price tag. Determine your budget before you begin your search and look for Microphones that fit within your price range.
To help you get started, here are some Microphone recommendations that are highly rated by customers and offer excellent features and performance.
Best Microphones for Video Recording
- Marantz Professional Pod Pack 1: A complete package for podcasting, this set includes a high-quality condenser Microphone, an adjustable boom arm, and a set of closed-back headphones. The Microphone features a cardioid polar pattern for excellent isolation, and the headphones offer clear audio monitoring during recording or editing.
- Marantz Professional MPM-4000U Podcast Mic: This versatile Microphone is ideal for podcasters, streamers, and content creators. The cardioid polar pattern captures sound from the front while rejecting unwanted background noise, and the built-in USB interface allows for easy plug-and-play connectivity with any computer.
Marantz Professional MPM-4000U Podcast Mic
- Marantz Professional MPM-1000U USB Condenser Microphone: This compact and affordable Microphone is designed for home studio use. With a cardioid polar pattern, wide frequency response, and built-in USB interface, the MPM-1000U delivers clear and detailed audio recordings for vocals, instruments, and more.
Marantz Professional MPM-1000U USB Condenser Microphone
- Marantz Professional MPM-1000 Studio Recording Condenser Microphone: With a cardioid polar pattern and wide frequency response, this Microphone is ideal for capturing vocals and acoustic instruments in the studio. The MPM-1000 features a rugged metal body, low self-noise, and high SPL handling, making it suitable for various recording applications.
Marantz Professional MPM-1000 Studio Recording Condenser Microphone
- Marantz Professional M4U USB Computer Microphone: This compact and portable Microphone is perfect for podcasting, video conferencing, and recording vocals or instruments on the go. The M4U features a cardioid polar pattern, plug-and-play USB connectivity, and a headphone output for real-time monitoring.
Marantz Professional M4U USB Computer Microphone
We hope that our list of recommended Microphones has helped guide you towards the right product for your needs.