Everyone needs to have a healthy dental structure. But at times, lifestyle habits and other occurrences can result in cavities, gum disease and tooth decay. While some dental problems can be sorted with minimal treatment, others might need specialized treatment. Often people lose out on a tooth or two due to excess cavities, gum problems or tooth decay. Also, you can prefer Dental Crowns that protect, cover and restore the shape of your teeth when fillings don’t solve the problem. At times, accidents can also be the cause of people losing out their teeth. The obvious solution here is to opt-in for a dental crown.
Getting a dental crown needs to be done in a process the dentist deems fit. So, first and foremost, you have to get in touch with an expert dentist and get their suggestion on your dental condition. If you want, you can choose a dental crown from Plainview, NY and wanted a zirconia crown. But you need to weigh and assess the reasons for which you are selecting a dental crown. Ideally, different people have different reasons for getting a dental crown. They are:
- To enhance the severely decayed tooth
- You have undergone a root canal treatment
- You need to replace a missing tooth
- You have a few aesthetic purposes
- To secure a chipped and cracked tooth
Now that you know the reasons, you must assess a few factors before making the final choice. Here are a few factors that you would want to consider before making the final decision.
- Understand the need to have a dental crown
As you have noticed, a dental crown can be used for both restorative and cosmetic purposes. In case, you wish to choose a dental crown for a decorative purpose, it’s best to opt in for various other less invasive processes. The crowns are a tad bit costly and are non-reversible. Hence, it would help if you were sure of what you want. The dental veneers and bonding are less costly. It is less invasive and can also improve your smile.
But in case you want a restorative solution, the dental crown is the ideal option. Look for pictures on the internet to compare the appearance of the teeth with crowns before and after the procedure. It will feel and function almost like your natural tooth. In several situations, it can get held by the implants or bridges.
- You must compare the materials
If you look at the dental crowns, you will find multiple materials such as metal alloys, stainless steel, resin, ceramic, porcelain, and gold. When you look at the stainless-steel crowns, you will know that it gets used for temporary purposes. It is generally used when you are making a permanent crown. Even zirconia crowns are gaining prominence today.
- Make sure to compare the costs
The dental insurance policies are different. A few covers the dental crown expense, and others don’t. However, you need to confirm the same with your service provider before finalizing any dental crown. Having said that, every material will have its own expense. Here are a few facts to keep in mind:
- The porcelain crowns are costly in comparison to the resin and metal crowns
- Metal crowns are reasonably priced
- The gold crowns are as expensive as the porcelain crowns
- You must consider the durability
Generally, the dental crown’s durability gets determined by the material. Here are a few facts that you must consider:
- The gold crowns are durable and can last for nearly 20 years.
- The resin crowns are not very durable, and their cost gets justified as it’s cheaper.
- The porcelain crowns are stable, but the gold ones are more durable.
- Metal crowns can last for a long time.
If you have a habit of grinding your teeth, then you should choose a gold and metal crown because it is durable. The resin crowns might fail to last long for the ones who have this habit.
You might want the dental crown to last for several years. However, it is necessary to ensure that it has the correct aesthetics. Here are a few facts that are essential:
- The gold crowns can get noticed. Hence, you can resort to them for the back and front teeth. But some people don’t mind it.
- Even the metal crowns are noticeable. However, in terms of aesthetics, it’s not as great as that of the gold crowns. Therefore, dentists suggest that it should get used for the back teeth.
- The porcelain crowns match the shade of your teeth and look aesthetic. Usually, you can use it for the front teeth.
- The porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns also complement the teeth color. However, the metal line can become slightly visible. And it’s because of that, that you can use it for your back teeth.
Even the hard resin crowns can complement your teeth color, which makes them apt for the front teeth. Now that you are aware of these factors, you can make an informed choice.
- The reputation of the dentist
When you are planning for a dental crown, it is evident that you will get to know the dentist first and then decide on the process. Hence, it is crucial to check the reputation of the dentist. For that, you might want to read through the reviews and online testimonials about the dentist to gather an idea about his expertise and experience. If you find that the dentist has more positive reviews, it’s an excellent choice to get connected with him. On the other hand, if you find that the dentist has great negative reviews, it would be wise for you to not join hands with him. Since it’s related to your mouth, it’s best if you choose a dentist who knows his job well.
Finally, once you have selected the dentist, they will enable you to choose the best crown that caters to your condition. It would help if you discussed all that you want to about the dental implant with him. They better understand the situation and will not mislead you under any circumstances. Hence, it would help if you listened to him because he is confident about the crown that will cater to your requirements. They will also advise you on the after-care so that you can reap the benefits of the treatment for a long time.