Separation anxiety is a common trait in dogs, especially in recent times. Either your dog already has it or may have recently got it after a whole year of your staying and working from home. Many veterinarians claim that 30%-60% of dogs have separation anxiety when they visit them.
Most dog owners know the term separation anxiety and have treated their dogs. While many treatments are available on the market, CBD oil for dogs with separation anxiety is a proven method to calm your furry friend and stop their anxious feeling.
What Causes Separation Anxiety?
Separation anxiety is just a fear a dog feels of being separated from its owners, and it is a common feeling, especially in small breeds of dogs.
It is a mental state which your dog feels when you leave them alone at home. The problem of anxiety is common in humans and dogs. When dogs become attached to their companion or can’t stay away from their owner, they become anxious and change their behavior. They make noises, soft melancholic barking or honking, and in severe cases, may have panic attacks.
Separation anxiety is a dog’s way of showing the bond with any specific person, and they will show sudden panic when separated from that person. It is an emotional condition that can lead to significant behavioral and cognitive changes in dogs. It is seen that about 20%-30% of changes in the behavior of dogs are related to separation anxiety. Dogs having separation anxiety more often should be treated.
Common Symptoms of Separation Anxiety
Your pup friend will show continued symptoms of separation anxiety when going through it. Some common symptoms are:
- Pacing and Panting- Your pet is pacing back and forth and not paying attention to anything around them. They are roaming more often around the room and the person they don’t want to get separated from. In fact, in some situations, even if they are resting, they begin panting a lot and show signs of heavy breathing.
- Whining and barking – It is common for dogs to whine and bark when emotionally charged. When experiencing anxiety, dogs tend to express themselves through crying, barking, and whining.
- Shaking- You might notice your dog shaking or beginning to tremble. They start showing signs of physical manifestation and can’t control their fear.
- Urinating and defecating– Even your most well-behaved dog starts showing signs of lost control, and their separation anxiety kicks in, causing them to mess up.
- Behavior change or Antisocial behavior- They start isolating themselves and show signs of antisocial behavior. They don’t want to be around anyone other than the person they have a fear of being separated from.
How does CBD Oil Help in Separation Anxiety?
CBD oil for dogs with separation anxiety can help in many ways. Cannabidiol is a chemical compound found in natural cannabis plants. It has the potential to give your dog a calming sensation, as used for both humans and dogs.
Similar to humans, dogs have the endocannabinoid system that controls their nervous system, organs, and brain. Using CBD oil will interact with this system and increase serotonin levels in the brain leading to a calming effect on the brain.
CBD oils have shown proven results in overcoming separation anxiety in dogs. If your dog is struggling with this emotional outburst and is having difficulty keeping calm, you can consider using CBD-infused treats or other supplements to help your pet.