Whether you’re looking to lose weight, simplify dinner prep or add a little more plant-based protein to your diet, it doesn’t get much better than chickpeas.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are cheap, loaded with nutrients like iron, phosphorus, copper and manganese and contain almost all the essential amino acids (except for methionine).
If you buy them in a can, they’re also easy to work with, since they are already cooked.
Ready to add more chickpeas to your diet? These sweet, savoury, spicy and satisfying roasted chickpea recipes are sure to hit the spot.
How to prepare:
For each of these recipes, the preparation is quite simple:
- Open your can of chickpeas, drain and rinse
- Lay the chickpeas out on a dishcloth or paper towel and pat dry
- Once dry, spread out your chickpeas in a single layer on a large parchment- or foil-lined baking sheet
- Prepare your chickpeas with a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt
- Put into a pre-heated oven (400°) for about 30 minutes
- Add the spice blend to the chickpeas and return to the oven for another 10 minutes
- Moroccan Spiced Chickpeas: Looking for something that’s slightly sweet, a little spicy and very savoury? This is the recipe for you. Combine paprika (2 tsp), National Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp), cumin (1/2 tsp), National Himalayan Pink Salt (1/4 tsp), sugar (1/4 tsp) and black pepper powder (1/8 tsp) and add to your chickpeas.
- Chickpea Tikka Masala: If you like chicken tikka masala, you’ll love this low-fat, protein-packaged vegetarian snack. Mix National Chicken Tikka Recipe Mix (1/2 packet) with National Ginger & Garlic Paste (1/2 tsp) and lemon juice (1 tsp) and add to your chickpeas.
- Sweet (Chick)peas: Chickpeas are often used for savoury dishes, like hummus or falafel, but, surprisingly, they also work as a sweet treat. Toss your roasted chickpeas in a mixture of brown sugar (1 tsp), cinnamon (1/2 tsp) and a squeeze of lemon juice for an irresistible yet healthy snack.
- Seekh Kabab Chickpeas: You won’t need any skewers for these spicy kabab-inspired chickpeas! Toss your roasted chickpeas in National Seekh Kabab Recipe Mix (1/2 packet) and ginger and garlic paste (1/2 tsp).
- Honey Garlic Chickpeas: Sweet and tangy with a bit of kick, these Asian-inspired honey garlic chickpeas are as irresistible as they are easy to prepare. In a mixing bowl, combine honey (1 tsp), ginger and garlic paste (1/2 tsp), soy sauce (1 tsp) and National Green Chili Sauce (1/4 tsp). Add your chickpeas to the bowl and mix until chickpeas are covered.
Roast your chickpeas, prepare your sauces and spice blends and in just minutes you could be eating five different styles of chickpeas. Serve them as a side dish, put them on your soups and salads or eat them as a snack.