Mornings are typically stressful times of the day, especially for military wives with kids. There is a lot on our to-do list that we often neglect or totally skip the most important meal of the day: breakfast. However, you can try some super-quick, healthy, and easy recipes for your nourishment.
Here are our 3 easy recipes you can try for your busy mornings.
- American pancakes
Simple, American-style, buttery pancakes are perfect for breakfast or brunch. Serve with something rich, such as fruit, syrup, or jam, or with crispy bacon rashers.
- 200g of self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon of golden caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 25g of melted butter and some extra for cooking
- 200ml of milk
- Vegetable oil
- A pinch of salt
- Mix the flour, baking powder, golden caster sugar, and salt together in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add the eggs, melted butter, and milk.
- Whisk the ingredients until smooth before pouring into a jug.
- Heat a tiny knob of butter and a teaspoon of oil in a big, non-stick pan over medium heat.
- When your butter looks frothy, pour your batter into rounds about 8 cm wide. Ensure you don’t put them too close together as they will widen during cooking.
- Let the pancakes cook on one side for approximately 2 minutes, or until you see several tiny bubbles appear and burst on the surface. Turn them over and cook for another minute on the second side. Repeat until you use up the entire batter.
- Serve the pancakes piled up on your plate with a sprinkle of maple syrup or a topping of your choice.
- Airfryer Bacon
6 rashers of streaky bacon.
- Lay your bacon in one layer in an air fryer’s base. Make sure the layers aren’t overlapping.
- Set your air fryer to 200C and cook the streaky bacon rashers for about 6 to 10 minutes. If you are cooking your bacon rashers in batches, keep in mind that the next batch will typically be quicker because the air fryer has heated up.
- Once cooked, remove the bacon with tongs and place it on kitchen paper to drain. Then serve.
- Poached eggs alongside smoked salmon as well as bubble & squeak
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 2 finely sliced spring onions
- 140g of finely chopped white cabbage
- 300g whole potatoes
- Two medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- Smoked salmon (75g)
- Cook the potatoes until cooked in a saucepan of boiling water, then drain.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet. Sweat your cabbage and spring onions in the skillet for a few minutes. In the meantime, coarsely cut and crush the potatoes, then add them to the pan with the chives. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then turn and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil, then lower it to a gentle simmer. Pour your cracked eggs into this pan and cook for 3 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolk is just starting to solidify. Drain them on kitchen paper after removing them with a slotted spoon.
- To serve, split the bubble & squeak between two dishes, top with the poached egg as well as smoked salmon, and season with black pepper to taste.