Red wine is becoming an obsession in Thailand as it is made from dark-colored grape varieties. Red wine, as known among local people as ไวน์แดง, has always been a staple in the community. Popping the cork of dry red wine with your friends or family is always the start of a beautiful evening together. Red wine’s diverse style makes the dining more interesting. It is loved for its delicious red fruit flavors. Red wine in a clear glass can change the evening.
As compared to white wine, red wine contains more resveratrol as it is fermented with the skins, while white wine is not. Most of the resveratrol in grapes is in the seeds and skin. Red wine characteristics are different from white wine because of the use of distinctive grape types and the fermentation process.
Spicy red wine is sizzling, it offers a world of delicious and zesty compounds that lights up the senses of an individual.
Here is why red wine is becoming a favorite obsession of people in Thailand:
Characteristics of Good Red Wine
- Ability to Age (H3)
Red wine has the capacity to age very well if stored properly. To store for a longer period, it is important to keep it in a slightly humid environment. If the red wine is kept in an extremely dry environment, the cork will dry out and oxygen will most probably find its way into the bottle affecting the quality of the wine.
- Health Benefits (H3)
Red wine has numerous health benefits to offer, such as:
- It has lipid-regulating, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory effects
- As the red wine is made from crushed dark grapes, it serves as a rich source of resveratrol. It is a natural oxidant that is found in the skin of grapes.
- Resveratrol also helps to prevent vision loss by reducing inflammation and oxidative stress
- Availability of Tannin (H3)
A good characteristic of red wine is the presence of tannins, which are polyphenols that lend texture, structure, and age-ability to a glass of red wine.
Distinct types of Red Wine
Red wine has many types to offer it can be either sweet or dry. Sweet red wines contain sugar in them while in dry red wine the sugar is omitted during the fermentation process.
Talking about dry red wine, it can be used to cook with as well. Red wine serves best for savory dishes. For instance, it can be used to boil pasta as well. Hence for a sweet dish, sweet wine will work better.
Different red wines have different flavors to offer. Different grape varieties produce aromas of flowers, fruits, spices, and different herbs. For example, Pinot Noir tends to have raspberry and cherry in it with forest floor notes.
Popular Red Wines in Thailand
Many popular red wines are trending right now in Thailand. A few of them are:
- Merlot contains flavors of strawberry, watermelon, plum, and cherry.
- Cabernet Sauvignon contains flavors of herb, cassis, black cherry, green olive, etc.
- Zinfandel contains flavors of blackberry, black cherry, raisin, prune, and raspberry
- Malbec has sour cherry and spice flavor
- Sangiovese contains flavors of anise, tobacco leaf, and pie cherry.
- Cabernet Franc contains flavors Violets, blueberry, black olive, etc.
What are you waiting for? Now open the cork of a good quality red wine and enjoy it with your friends and family.
An important note you need to keep in your mind is that the characteristics of red wine don’t illustrate that it doesn’t have any side effects. You need to keep your drinking of red wine moderate as the excess of everything is bad, injurious to health, and toxic no matter how many health benefits it offers.